Announcement

Died in a Blogging Accident has lived up to its name and died... in a blogging accident. That is to say it has concluded. You can still re-live the magic by clicking here to start at chapter 1. For genuine criticism of XKCD, please click the top link to the right (XKCD Isn't Funny).

Friday, August 19, 2011

xkcd Forums Bingo: Week 11

I'm back from Iceland with more bingo. You know I couldn't ever leave you guys.

930 - Days of the Week
This comic had a pretty good dose of C1, as a lot of people criticized the graph for being hard to read. But we all know it would have been better with a Happy Days reference for B5. Remember it's people like this that make xkcd the reference-overdosed train-wreck that it is. The comic was clear poster bait, so it's not surprising we get D5 from here (actually quite a rare square). But wait! I think this takes the cake for A2:

The data is discrete and not continuous, it makes no sense to even think of displaying it in a polar chart - even if you wanted to view the data as a continuous progression on distinct days, you would have to allow for the fact at some Thursday "A" is not identical to some Thursday "B", even though they are the same "day", in the same manner by which sin(tau) is equal to sin(2*tau), despite the latter representing a different point around a circle.

931 - Cancer Cancer Cancer
Yeesh, I've never seen a comic with a stronger B4 vibe. To say this comic made a lot of people sad is an understatement. In fact one person signed up just to say it (B2). Someone thought that "out of the woods" might be a Firefly reference (B3) Some people even wanted a "Fuck cancer" shirt (D5).

This is a bit ridiculous. You don't have to be an cancer survivor to post in the comic's thread, y'know:
I do feel a little silly posting in this thread. I don't have cancer. None of my family has had cancer. I am 'mundane' as it were.

This is somewhat disturbing:
So let me join in the resounding chorus of, "Fuck cancer." Fuck it in the face. Then flip it over and fuck it again.

This gave us the rare C5 square:
If only there was some way in which everyone could just pay an amount of money into the healthcare industry, so those that need medical help can do so without having to pay insurmountable fees!

As you can see, I've added to the score card my own tasteful tribute to the sentiment expressed in this comic. I even wrote it in the blood of my enemies. That counts for something, right?

932 - CIA
A wind-down after the last comic. The thread itself only reached two pages.

8 comments:

  1. IT'S ACTUALLY THE BLOOD OF CANCER, BECAUSE CANCER IS MY ENEMY NOW, RIGHT AFTER I FUCKED IT!

    Too much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...have you never seen a bingo card before? I don't understand why you use this A-E by 1-5 thing instead of the standard B-I-N-G-O across the x-axis and 1-5 down. Because B3 means entirely different things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that a bingo card is set out that way. I might change my own to fit that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you really have never seen a bingo card before. Whatta loser!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed disturbing when one is called a 'loser' because one is not familiar with the layout of a BINGO card.
    Anti-intellectualism is indeed rampant in the US of A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'M UNBELIEVABLY ANGRY ABOUT BINGO

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete